On May 19, Byeon Woo Seok attended the press conference for Netflix’s new variety show Camp Yoo Jae Suk held at JW Marriott Dongdaemun in Seoul.
During the event, the actor briefly addressed the growing criticism surrounding the MBC drama.
“I sincerely apologize for the project-related issues,” he said with a serious expression.
Camp Yoo Jae Suk follows novice camp owner Yoo Jae Suk along with unpredictable staff members Lee Kwang Soo, Byeon Woo Seok and Ji Ye Eun as they spend time with guests through chaotic camp activities and games.
Speaking about joining his first variety show with a fixed cast, Byeon Woo Seok shared his excitement to show viewers a different side of himself.
“I have always loved watching variety shows and I was excited because I thought I could show a new side of myself for the first time.” he explained. “More than anything, I was excited to work with Yoo Jae Suk sunbaenim, Kwang Soo hyung and Ye Eun.”
He added that many fans enjoy seeing his everyday personality, which motivated him to test himself despite feeling nervous.
“I thought ‘Camp Yoo Jae Suk‘It would be a good opportunity to show those natural sides of myself,’ he said.
However, the focus of the event inevitably shifted towards the surrounding controversies Perfect crownwhere Byeon Woo Seok starred alongside IU.
Although the drama ended with a strong nationwide final rating of 13.8% according to Nielsen Korea, it was heavily criticized for alleged historical distortions and concerns related to the Northeast China Project controversy.
The reaction intensified after episode 11 featured a coronation scene in which the king wore a guryumyeonryugwan – traditionally associated with vassal states – while officials shouted “Cheonse” instead of the imperial expression “Manse”.
The series had previously faced criticism for historical inaccuracies, costume verification issues, and world-building concerns, making the scene even more controversial among viewers.

Following the backlash, both Byeon Woo Seok and IU issued formal apology statements, while the drama’s cast reportedly canceled all scheduled post-finale interviews.
On May 18, Byeon Woo Seok also posted an apology via social media.
“I reflect deeply and sincerely apologize for acting without more careful consideration of the historical verification issues reported by viewers,” he wrote.
At the press conference, the actor once again underlined his regret.
“I always try to live with the mentality of doing my best at all times,” he said. “I did my best even during filming”Camp Yoo Jae Suk‘, and I hope viewers can enjoy the show for what it is.
He concluded by adding: “As for the drama-related issues, I’m really sorry.”
In the meantime, Camp Yoo Jae Suk will premiere on Netflix on May 26.
Sources: Nate News

